Sunday, January 18, 2009

Trees





This year, I decided to do a special project that would take several weeks to finish. I found inspiration from my friend, the Urban Hen. When she taught preschool, the children did a special little book and used the poem Trees, by Joyce Kilmer, for inspiration.

I did the same sorta thing...just bigger. These are the highlights of this project. The orange tree was for fall, the kids painted their hands and arm to make the tree then dotted the tree with fall leaves for the fall. I am a little bummed I didn't get a photo of these...nor did I photo a birds nest that we made:(

Science/nature: the study of trees, types, what they provide for us, parts of a tree, seasons
Language/prereading: poetry, rhyming
craft/art: nature collage, rolled balls of model magic to form eggs, then painted them with light blue water color to make little robins eggs. We made a nest using the bottom half of a paper lunch sack. roll down the edges to make a small little nest, line with shredded paper, glue in robin eggs. The white tree, is well, white...we glued Epson salt and clear glitter onto the paper. The red tree labels the parts of a tree, the roots are twin taped on the back.

We also had been talking about God's creation when I taught this lesson.


These made grand examples of our hard work when we had our open house

1 comment:

Sean and Lisa said...

KT so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these ideas! I homeschool and am always looking to incorporate new things especially when someone else thinks of them. LOL!
Thank you for this treasure trove!!!